In 1949, "the Technical Assistance Section of the Division of Economic Stability and Development and the International Centre for Training in Public Administration were transferred from the Department of Economic Affairs to the Technical Assistance Administration (TAA).” (YUN, 1949) "The Technical Assistance Administration is responsible for the programme of technical assistance, which includes the operation and administration of the programmes authorized by General Assembly resolutions on advisory social welfare services, on training in public administration and on the United Nations programme of technical assistance for economic development of under-developed countries. In addition it is responsible for administering the United Nations Expanded Programme for Technical Assistance as approved by resolution of the Economic and Social Council (222(IX)). These programmes include the organization of technical assistance missions, the provision of expert advice, the award of fellowships and scholarships and the organization of demonstration projects, seminars, and training institutes." (YUN, 1950)
TAA was aided by the Technical Assistance Board (TAB), which was under the mandate of the Expanded Programme of Technical Assistance, later combined into the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). For the life of TAA, there were talks about merging it with both the Department of Social Affairs and the Department of Economic Affairs. However, while the two Departments merged in 1955, the Technical Assistance Administration remained a separate entity until 1959. Throughout the period of its existence, the Director-General was Hugh L. Keenleyside.