Print preview Close

Showing 494 results

United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) (1943-1946) Series
Print preview View:

Country Programs Division - Programming Branch - Country Files

The first organization plan of the Bureau of Supply (Bureau of Supply Order No. 2, c. January 1944) contained provision for a Requirements and Allocations Division. After 15 April 1944, it operated as two branches, a Requirements Co-ordination Branch, and an Allocations Co-ordination Branch, (Bureau of Supply Order No. 8). The two were again joined (Bureau of Supply Order No. 8, Supp. 7) on 12 October 1944. On 13 July 1945 (Bureau of Supply Bulletin No. 34) the Branch was abolished, and its functions were taken over by the new Country Programs Division. The new Division took over some of the functions and staff of the "area desks" of the former Bureau of Areas.
The functions of the office were, briefly, to act in a staff and liaison capacity in connection with the computation of supply requirements and the preparation of requests for allocations, and in the development of coordinated requirements programs. It was divided into four major units: an Executive Office; a Programming Branch, responsible for drawing up and coordinating a broad program of supply operations by balancing the needs and requests of receiving countries against available resources of funds and supplies; an Operations Branch, principally occupied with preparing and maintaining current records and reports of the progress of the program; and a Country Desk Branch, consisting mainly of liaison officers responsible for coordinating the work of the various Supply Bureau divisions with respect to individual countries and for assisting the Mission heads and the Washington representatives of those countries.
When liquidation began, the Country Programs Division was abolished on 1 August 1947, and its remaining functions were assumed by the new Residual Operations and Records Division (General Bulletin No. 277). This was in turn succeeded on 1 April 1948 by the Division of Residual Supply Activities (AO 103, Supp. 21).

Agricultural Rehabilitation Division - Program Analysis and Control Branch Executive Office - Country Files

The agricultural rehabilitation planning work started under OFRRO, and the Division was established as a part of the UNRRA Bureau of Supply early in 1944.
The functions of the Division, outlined in A.O. No. 8, 15 April 1944, were to prepare requirements estimates; negotiate allocations of supplies; develop specifications and standards for supplies to be purchased; cooperate with other UNRRA divisions in achieving orderly, balanced programs, analyzing relevant reports and data, providing advice and information on agricultural commodities, and developing time schedules; and negotiate with national procurement agencies in arranging for purchase and deliveries.
At the peak of operations (about July 1946), the Division consisted of the Office of the Director and five major Branches: Field Services, Agriculture (and Fisheries) Equipment, livestock, General Farm Supplies, and Program Analysis and Control, each broken into a number of sections and units. A Records and Shipping Section, at that time a part of the Office of the Director, seems later to have been incorporated with the Progress Control Section of the Program Analysis and Control Branch.

Procurement Coordination Division - Executive Office - Subject Files

A Procurement Division was one of three major parts of the early Bureau of Supply (Bureau of Supply Order No. 2, c. Jan. 1944). By April 1944, it had become the Procurement Coordination Branch (later Division) (B.S. Order No. 8). In August 1947 the Division was abolished, its remaining functions being carried on by a new Division of Residual Operations and Records, which was in turn succeeded on 1 April 1948, by the Division of Residual Supply Activities (General Bulletin 277; Administrative Order 103, Supp. 21).
The chief responsibilities of the Procurement Coordination Division were to act in a staff capacity in developing a procurement program and "to assume leadership for procurement work of the Bureau"; to maintain liaison with suppliers, government agencies, UNRRA offices, and supply missions on procurement matters; to assemble data on member countries ability to contribute to UNRRA and assist in negotiations for contributions; and to develop procedures for acquiring war surpluses.
The Division consisted of a Requisition and Budget Control Branch, a Surplus Property Branch, a Latin American Branch, a British Dominions and India Branch, and an Expediting (United States and Canada) Branch. A Direct Purchase Branch, which was a part of the Division until 16 May 1946, was abolished at that time and succeeded by a new Division of Emergency Procurement. The Requisition and Budget Control Branch was changed in January 1947 to the Funding, Budget, and Records Management Branch, under Allan T. Bonnell, who in August became head of the Residual Operations and Records Division.

Results 121 to 130 of 494