- 1943 - 1949
A Procurement Division was one of three major parts of the early Bureau of Supply (Bureau of Supply Order No. 2, c. Jan. 1944). By April 1944, it had become the Procurement Coordination Branch (later Division) (B.S. Order No. 8). In August 1947 the Division was abolished, its remaining functions being carried on by a new Division of Residual Operations and Records, which was in turn succeeded on 1 April 1948, by the Division of Residual Supply Activities (General Bulletin 277; Administrative Order 103, Supp. 21).
The chief responsibilities of the Procurement Coordination Division were to act in a staff capacity in developing a procurement program and "to assume leadership for procurement work of the Bureau"; to maintain liaison with suppliers, government agencies, UNRRA offices, and supply missions on procurement matters; to assemble data on member countries ability to contribute to UNRRA and assist in negotiations for contributions; and to develop procedures for acquiring war surpluses.
The Division consisted of a Requisition and Budget Control Branch, a Surplus Property Branch, a Latin American Branch, a British Dominions and India Branch, and an Expediting (United States and Canada) Branch. A Direct Purchase Branch, which was a part of the Division until 16 May 1946, was abolished at that time and succeeded by a new Division of Emergency Procurement. The Requisition and Budget Control Branch was changed in January 1947 to the Funding, Budget, and Records Management Branch, under Allan T. Bonnell, who in August became head of the Residual Operations and Records Division.