- 1944 - 1948
Showing 494 results
- 1935 - 1949
- 1943 - 1949
"The Direct Procurement Division first came into being as a Section of the Procurement Coordination Division in the spring of 1944. On 9 May 1946 the Direct Procurement Branch was given full divisional status. On 1 Oct. 1946 the purchasing functions of the Purchase Section, Purchase and Supply Branch, Administrative Services Division were transferred to the Direct Procurement Division, which consequently became the sole procurement agency of the Administration Printing and duplicating work and the planning and authorization of requirements remained. The primary and basic functions of the Division were: To purchase small quantities of urgently required commodities with non-convertible funds which it would have been uneconomical to channel through the normal machinery of United States Government purchase, i.e. Treasury Procurement, US Department of Agriculture etc. To negotiate procurement, using Free Funds, in markets which were outside the sphere of normal US Government activities, e. g. War Surplus Stores etc. To procure administrative supplies, PX, Commissary and Camp Supplies for UNRRA field missions. To procure supplies with funds contributed by Voluntary Agencies. "
- 1943 - 1947
The first organization plan of the Bureau of Supply (Bureau of Supply Order No. 2, c. January 1944) contained provision for a Requirements and Allocations Division. After 15 April 1944, it operated as two branches, a Requirements Co-ordination Branch, and an Allocations Co-ordination Branch, (Bureau of Supply Order No. 8). The two were again joined (Bureau of Supply Order No. 8, Supp. 7) on 12 October 1944. On 13 July 1945 (Bureau of Supply Bulletin No. 34) the Branch was abolished, and its functions were taken over by the new Country Programs Division. The new Division took over some of the functions and staff of the "area desks" of the former Bureau of Areas.
The functions of the office were, briefly, to act in a staff and liaison capacity in connection with the computation of supply requirements and the preparation of requests for allocations, and in the development of coordinated requirements programs. It was divided into four major units: an Executive Office; a Programming Branch, responsible for drawing up and coordinating a broad program of supply operations by balancing the needs and requests of receiving countries against available resources of funds and supplies; an Operations Branch, principally occupied with preparing and maintaining current records and reports of the progress of the program; and a Country Desk Branch, consisting mainly of liaison officers responsible for coordinating the work of the various Supply Bureau divisions with respect to individual countries and for assisting the Mission heads and the Washington representatives of those countries.
When liquidation began, the Country Programs Division was abolished on 1 August 1947, and its remaining functions were assumed by the new Residual Operations and Records Division (General Bulletin No. 277). This was in turn succeeded on 1 April 1948 by the Division of Residual Supply Activities (AO 103, Supp. 21).
- 1943 - 1949
A Procurement Division was one of three major parts of the early Bureau of Supply (Bureau of Supply Order No. 2, c. Jan. 1944). By April 1944, it had become the Procurement Coordination Branch (later Division) (B.S. Order No. 8). In August 1947 the Division was abolished, its remaining functions being carried on by a new Division of Residual Operations and Records, which was in turn succeeded on 1 April 1948, by the Division of Residual Supply Activities (General Bulletin 277; Administrative Order 103, Supp. 21).
The chief responsibilities of the Procurement Coordination Division were to act in a staff capacity in developing a procurement program and "to assume leadership for procurement work of the Bureau"; to maintain liaison with suppliers, government agencies, UNRRA offices, and supply missions on procurement matters; to assemble data on member countries ability to contribute to UNRRA and assist in negotiations for contributions; and to develop procedures for acquiring war surpluses.
The Division consisted of a Requisition and Budget Control Branch, a Surplus Property Branch, a Latin American Branch, a British Dominions and India Branch, and an Expediting (United States and Canada) Branch. A Direct Purchase Branch, which was a part of the Division until 16 May 1946, was abolished at that time and succeeded by a new Division of Emergency Procurement. The Requisition and Budget Control Branch was changed in January 1947 to the Funding, Budget, and Records Management Branch, under Allan T. Bonnell, who in August became head of the Residual Operations and Records Division.