Established March 1946, officially closed 31 December 1946 (liquidation in process until the end of 1947).
The primary functions of the Office were to staff and service European-held conferences, to finance and staff United Nations offices abroad, and to recruit personnel for the new United Nations.
The Office had evolved further to the dissolution of the London-based Preparatory Commission of the United Nations, which had closed after the conclusion of the first session of the General Assembly of the United Nations (held in London).
The Office reported to the Secretary-General, by this time based in New York.
By May 1946 it was organized into the following sections: Languages, Information, General Services, Finance, and Personnel. The Executive Director was F. C. Sharpley. When liquidation of the Office had been completed, the remaining staff were formally merged with the new United Nations London Information Centre (under the Department of Public Information).